Wednesday 7 May 2014

Coaching what is observed, not what is important

There are so many things to write about, and my thoughts are not as well organised as they might be. I'll treat these as post-it notes, to be re-written as I like.

When I coach people, and to some extent when I'm being coached, I feel that a lot of time and emphasis goes on the catch, and the finish, and the recovery. But only because those are the bits that you can see. They aren't really the most important bits. The most important bit is the drive phase. Yes you don't want to mess the boat up during the recovery, and yes you need to be balanced in order to get a decent catch in order to get a decent drive, but all that stuff is fundamentally secondary to the drive. The drive itself is another post, not this one, because there are some details to wade through.

The reason people do this is because its pretty hard to do anything else. What matters during the drive is the relative force-through-time curve that people do, and that's really hard to see from the bank. its also really hard to practice. Its also, I think, the most important thing to get right. The only helpful thought I have about how to coach it, though, is that you need all your people to be thoroughly familiar with the concept, and most people aren't. So you need to prepare them beforehand: its pretty silly shouting it from the riverbank, when you could have explained it before going out. Still better, sit people on an erg and turn it to "force curve".

No comments:

Post a Comment